This three hour specialised Media Training for Councillors is the ideal induction for new members. It can be delivered remotely, via Zoom or Teams, in your own premises.
We cover everything that your councillors need to know, from how a journalist thinks, to working effectively with the Communications team. They will also learn how to spot a potential crisis and handle media interviews successfully.
What to expect
This local government media seminar is approximately three hours long and will be tailored to your council.
The seminar is the perfect induction for new members. It is ideal for anyone who needs to enhance their understanding of how the media work and the how to protect the reputation of your council.
It is informative and entertaining, we include relevant video clips. Audience interaction is encouraged. Practical media interviews are included. We then replay the recorded media interviews, highlighting the lessons to be learnt.
You will learn
- How the media works today
- Why, when and how to engage with the media
- How to work effectually with your Communications team
- When should you liaise with them
- Being aware of the journalist in your council meetings, at events and conferences.
- What make a news story? What a journalist wants from you?
- How to find stories and make them interesting to journalists
- How to generate news interest in your activities
- Building relationships with journalists
- The who, where and when of managing the release of news
- Making social media work for you, avoiding social media gaffs
- How to handle journalists enquiries
- What to say and what not to say when a journalist calls.
- The hazards of speaking to the media unprepared
- Preparing your key messages
- Our ABC formula for successful media interviews
- How to spot a potential media crisis
- Who to call if there is a serious issue
- How to manage a media in a crisis
- Doorstepping journalists
- Handling hostile questions
- Bridging techniques
- Staying on message
- Managing a media interview- practical exercises
- Playback, analysis and tuition
- Recap and conclusions
- A recording of practical exercises
- Press release templates
- Workshop materials and media Interview rulebook and handy tips card to help with future media interviews
- Media guidance booklet
- A certificate of attendance if required
Who should attend
- Bespoke course and can be run in your own premises
- Ideal as part of an induction programme for:
- New councillors in local government
- New managers
- New staff who may be approached by the media for comment
- Any staff who need to be more media savvy
- Perfect for a talk at a networking event or annual business conference
- PR Professionals
- Communication Leads
- Press Officers
- PR Managers
Use this form to book, or call us now on 01628 474 154 to discuss the best option for your organisation.