Media Awareness Seminar
This is a bespoke seminar and can be delivered in your own premises or at a conference centre as part of your annual conference or networking event.
Your organisation is full of good news, but not all of your staff appreciate the news value of the work that they do. On this seminar they will learn how to work with your Communications team to promote your success stories to the media and enhance your reputation. They will also learn how to spot and manage a potential media crisis.
What to expect
This half day seminar will be tailored to your organisation. It is roughly three hours, but we can trim it to fit your requirements. It is ideal for anyone who needs to understand the news value of the work that they do, wants to use the media more effectively or learn how to handle a media crisis. It is fun, informative and entertaining, we include lots of clips to illustrate our points, and encourage audience interaction.
We use a combination of PowerPoint, flip carts and interactive audience-participation. We usually ask for one or two volunteers to take part in practice media interviews, where specific key messages need to be communicated. We would then replay the interview, highlighting the lessons to be learnt from this random example.
Who should attend
This is a bespoke course and can be run in your own premises
- This seminar is ideal as part of an induction programme for:
- New councillors in local government
- New managers
- New staff who may be approached by the media for comment
- Any staff who need to be more media savvy when dealing with customers
- It is also perfect for a talk at a networking event or annual business conference
- PR Professionals
- Communication Leads
- Press Officers
- PR Managers
All Participants Receive
- A recording of any practical exercises
- Press release templates
- Workshop materials and media Interview rulebook and handy tips card to help with future media interviews
- Media guidance booklet
- A certificate of attendance if required
You will learn
- How the media works today
- Why, when and how to engage with the media
- How to work effectually with your Communications team
- Being aware of the journalist in your council meetings, at events and conferences.
- What make a news story?
- How to find stories and make them interesting to journalists
- How to generate news interest in your activities
- Building relationships with journalists
- The who, where and when of managing the release of news
- Write effective press releases
- Write eye catching headlines
- To develop successful media strategies
- Making social media work for your campaigns
- How to handle journalists enquiries
- What to say and what not to say when a journalist calls.
- The hazards of speaking to the media unprepared
- How to spot a potential media crisis
- Who to call if there is a serious issue
- How to manage a media in a crisis
- Doorstepping journalists
- Managing a media interview, in theory- a few practical interviews with volunteers
Book This Course
Use this form to book, or call us now on 01628 474 154 to discuss the best option for your organisation.
Need something different?
We deliver tailored training across the UK and internationally.
If you have three or more people who require this course, ask us about an in-house training programme. It will be more cost effective, and save you the effort of travelling.
We will bring our equipment, materials and cameras to your own premises. We tailor the training to you and your organisation.
Get in touch or call us now to discuss the best option for your organisation.
Tel: 01628 474154